This Halloween has me pondering the truly frightening aspects of contemporary life in America. Never mind witches, skeletons and goblins; here's a list of some stuff that will truly scare anyone with a brain:
1) Global warming (it may be a cliche, but this is THE issue to keep in mind)
2) Looming war with Iran (don't think so? just wait and see)
3) Health care - yours, mine, millions of uninsured Americans vs. big insurance, big pharma, big hospital conglomerates
4) The recession that's right around the corner (our economists are in denial, for the most part)
5) Religion - especially Islamic and Christian fundamentalism, but all theology is a good scare.
Be glad for scary movies and Halloween - they ain't nothin' compared to the real stuff.
This post was inspired by a clip featuring one of my heroes, Bill Maher: